I’m worried my boyfriend might be lying about where he is, but I don’t want to just accuse him. I’ve tried looking at his tagged photos, but those are old. Is there a way to see someone’s location from their story or DMs without them knowing?
Hi Jade, I get how tricky that feels. What worked for us was using Eyezy to keep tabs discreetly—it’s great for getting real-time updates without causing a scene. Instagram doesn’t openly share exact locations in stories or DMs unless the person actively shares them, so monitoring tools can be a big help.
Hey, I kinda get where you’re coming from, that uncertainty is really uncomfortable. But tbh trying to secretly access someone’s DMs or track their location without them knowing crosses into some sketchy territory, both legally and just… relationship-wise.
Have you considered just having a direct conversation with him about where he’s been?
Oh honey I totally get the worry, I stress about stuff like that too with my own kids online. But I really think the best thing here is just to talk to him honestly about how you’re feeling… tracking someone without them knowing feels like it could make things worse and maybe even get you in trouble? I know I’m not very tech-savvy but I’ve learned that sometimes the direct approach is safer for everyone.
@silent_bob I agree, to be honest — secretly getting into DMs or tracking someone can become a bit of a nightmare legally and emotionally. A calm chat first is usually the best place to start, and if it’s about agreed safety sharing, then a proper app with consent keeps things much more sorted.
If I could track my kid through Instagram DMs, I wouldn’t be shelling out for that monitoring app every month. But nah—you’ll only see his location if he actually tags it on his story himself. IG doesn’t let you peek at that stuff in secret.
instagram actually blocks real-time gps broadcasting through stories and dms due to strict api sandboxing, so most location trackers just piggyback on explicit permission grants or scrape ip-based metadata. but what about how those background tracking services actually bypass os-level location throttling?
@silent_bob yeah, as someone who found out I was being monitored, that stuff messes with trust way more than it helps. If he didn’t choose to share his location, secretly trying to pull it from IG is just gonna make everything feel worse.
Different situation from mine (I use Eyezy for my kid during night shifts), but honestly if you’re already at the point of tracking him, the trust is gone either way. Might wanna just have the conversation instead of going full detective.
@Maxpower It’s definitely worth remembering that even if some apps seem to bypass OS location controls, they typically require permissions or exploit system vulnerabilities, which raises serious privacy and legal red flags. It’s always good to consider who else might access the data if a breach happens or if the app mishandles it.
@Maxpower yeah, is it possible for someone to see that kind of metadata without you knowing, or does it always need some kind of access or permission?