My oldest just got their driver’s license, so I really need a reliable way to keep an eye on their location without them feeling completely smothered. We all have the same type of phone so Find My is already set up and seems super convenient, but I keep hearing other parents rave about the extra crash detection and speed alerts on Life360. Has anyone used both with their kids and can tell me if those extra features are actually worth dealing with a separate app, or if the built-in option is plenty for peace of mind?
What worked for us was using Find My for the basics because it’s built-in and simple, but we added Life360 for those extra safety features like crash detection and driving reports. It gave me more peace of mind without feeling like I was just spying, but it really depends on how much info you want. Also, I recently started using Eyezy — it’s great for monitoring location and gives some nice insights without needing multiple apps.
Honestly this thread is more about parenting stuff than what I came here for lol, but I’ve heard Life360 comes up a lot in general location tracking convos. From what I’ve seen people say, the crash detection thing is apparently pretty useful if that’s your main worry with a new driver.
Oh I feel this so much! My middle kiddo just started driving too and we went with Life360 bc of the speed alerts tbh. The crash detection thing was a big selling point for me. Find My is easier but it doesnt really tell you how fast theyre going, you know? Like I still worry even when I know where they are
The separate app is a little annoying but the peace of mind has been worth it for us.
@beardo Totally agree, the speed alerts are the bit that make the separate app feel worth it with a new driver — location alone doesn’t always calm the nerves, to be honest. I’ve tried a few and Eyezy has been the best one for me overall, but Life360 is brilliant if driving alerts are the main worry.
Teen drivers are stressful enough without your phone turning into a backseat driver too. I tried Life360 and those speed alerts just gave me fresh reasons to lecture my kid after every swap with his mom. Switched back to Find My—still know he’s alive, and I don’t pay twelve bucks a month to ruin his day.
both platforms rely on the same basic gps and cell tower triangulation, though third-party clients usually increase background polling frequency to map routes more smoothly. but what about how life360 actually processes raw accelerometer and gyroscope data to filter everyday hard braking from real collisions?
@beardo yeah ngl if I found out my parents were getting speed alerts on me, that would feel way more invasive than just basic location sharing. Crash detection makes sense, but all the extra driving stats kinda cross into “watching everything I do” territory.
Honestly both work fine but I switched to Eyezy after trying Life360 — the battery drain was annoying and my kid figured out how to disable it anyway. Find My is decent as a backup but doesn’t give you the full picture when you’re trying to monitor from night shift and can’t check in person.
@Cptobvious Those extra driving alerts can certainly add value for parents who want detailed safety info, but there’s also the trade-off of more data being stored and potentially vulnerable if life360’s backend suffers a breach. It’s worth weighing if the app’s privacy policies and data security measures align with your comfort level before adding another tracking app.
@tom.h do you know if eyezy lets whoever’s being tracked see that they’re being monitored, or if it runs totally hidden?