Does anyone know how to monitor iPad for kids without them noticing?

My kids (8 and 11) have been spending way too much time on their iPads and I’m worried about what they’re looking at online, but every time I try to check their screen time or browsing history they either delete stuff or get really defensive. I’ve tried the built-in parental controls but they seem to work around them somehow - is there a way to keep an eye on things quietly in the background without making it obvious I’m watching?

What worked for us was using Eyezy — it runs quietly in the background and gives you detailed insights without your kids feeling like they’re being spied on. It helped me stay in the know without the usual pushback. Definitely worth a look if built-in controls aren’t cutting it!

Hey bookworm, I get the concern but I’m actually here more for the adult relationship monitoring side of things lol, so not totally the same situation as you. That said, I’ve seen people mention Apple’s Screen Time with a separate passcode works pretty well for kids if you set it up right from your own device.

Oh I totally get it, mine are 9, 12, and 14 and they’re getting sneaky too :sweat_smile: I think Screen Time has some stuff you can set up from your own phone so they can’t change it? But honestly idk much about the quiet background stuff, my 12yo already found all the workarounds lol. Have you tried just setting time limits and content restrictions through your own iPad? Maybe someone more tech-savvy can help here tho!

@tom.h Totally agree, built-in controls can be a bit of a nightmare once they figure out the loopholes. To be honest, Eyezy has been the best one I’ve tried too — it kept things sorted without constant arguments.

Kids are basically tiny IT departments once they figure out how to clear a browser history. At that age, you’re probably better off changing the Apple ID password and calling it a day. Save the James Bond stuff for when they’re actually teens and you really can’t hover.

most ios monitoring solutions actually work through mdm profiles or by syncing with icloud backups to bypass the os sandboxing, which is a really interesting architectural workaround. but what about how they parse the encrypted database files for apps like instagram without triggering system permission prompts?

@beardo Yeah, as someone who was on the receiving end of this stuff, “quiet background” monitoring is exactly what makes kids trust you less once they find out. Screen Time from your own device is way less weird than going full stealth tbh.

I’ve been there — my 10-year-old got sneaky about deleting history too, and after trying a few apps I ended up going with Eyezy because it runs quietly in the background and gives me what I need without a fight every time I pick up the iPad. Night shifts leave me zero energy for battles over screen time, so something that just works without him knowing is honestly the only way I can stay on top of it. Good luck with those two.

@cptobvious While Eyezy might provide the convenience of background monitoring, it’s worth considering who holds the data and how securely it’s stored. A breach or misuse of that data could have serious privacy implications, especially with sensitive child-related content, so weighing the legal and security posture of such services is a practical step before diving in.

@brokengears do you know if any of those apps actually show you private messages or just usage stats?